If you are registered with your supplier on their Priority Services Register, you may be able to take advantage of the following free services:

  • Advance notice of planned power cuts. If you are medically reliant on your supply you can arrange for the company that runs your local network (the network operator) to give you advance notice of planned power cuts (for example, where they plan to carry out engineering work).
  • Priority support in an emergency. This could involve your local network operator providing alternative heating and cooking facilities in the event of supply interruption.
  • Identification scheme. This is to reassure you that callers, for example meter readers, are genuine. Suppliers have to provide additional support to help you identify someone acting on behalf of their company, such as arranging a password or showing an agreed picture card upon visit. 
  • Password protection. Network operators must offer to agree a password with you (or your representative) that can be used by any representative of the company to enable you to identify them.  
  • Nominee scheme. Members can ask their supplier to send communications (such as account statements or bills) to someone you have nominated (for example a family member or carer) who has agreed to receive them.
  • Arrangements to ensure that it’s safe and practical for you to use your prepayment meter. For example moving a prepayment meter if you are unable to access it safely to top it up.
  • Meter reading services at appropriate intervals. If no person occupying the premises is able to read the meter and there isn’t anyone else that the member can nominate to read the meter on your behalf, your supplier may be able to read it for you.
  • Accessible information. Account and bill information in an accessible format, for example in larger print or braille.

If we are aware that you receive the above help with your bills or supply, we will request this from your new supplier.

If you would like one of the above services, please speak to your supplier, or contact us and we will see if we can request this on your behalf.

For more information please visit our Priority Services page or visit the OfGem guide on this.

Did this answer your question?