We will always do our best to try and help your resolve an issue with your supplier however, there may be times where you need to raise this directly with them.

Making the complaint

Your supplier's phone number and website will be on your energy bill.

Explain what the problem is and what you want your supplier to do about it. 

Your supplier will have a complaints procedure. You should follow this so they have the information they need to resolve the issue.

All gas and electricity suppliers are required through strict complaints handling standards to deal proactively with complaints. They have up to eight weeks to come to a decision on the complaint.

You can make a complaint by email, in writing or on the phone. Keep records of contact you have with the supplier on the issue.

If you want to complain in writing, Citizens Advice have template complaints letter formats you can use relevant to the type of complaint, for example if you feel you have been mis-sold into an energy contract. See their website: Complain to your supplier (opens another website).


Resolving the complaint

Your supplier should respond and try to resolve your complaint. They may ask for more information or ask to visit your home, for example to take a meter reading, to help them understand the issue.

You then need to decide if you think their response is reasonable and will solve the problem you have. If it doesn’t, tell them.


If you’re not happy with your supplier's response

You should first complain to your supplier. You can take your case further and complain to the Energy Ombudsman if:

  • you're not happy with their response
  • you’ve still not resolved the issue with your supplier and it’s been eight weeks since you first made a complaint
  • for complaints made before 1 October 2015, you referred the case within six months of a deadlock letter or within nine months of your complaint being raised with your supplier
  • for complaints made after 1 October 2015, you refer the case within 12 months of a deadlock letter. If you have not received a deadlock letter, they may be able to investigate a complaint older than 12 months.

Your energy supplier should write to you at eight weeks or ‘deadlock’ – when neither of you can reach agreement - to tell you how to do this.

See the Energy Ombudsman's website for more on their process: Complain to the Energy Ombudsman (opens another website)

What can the Energy Ombudsman do?

The Energy Ombudsman is a free, independent and impartial service. They can get the supplier to:

  • correct the problem
  • apologise
  • respond to you and explain the issue
  • in some cases, make a financial reward.

Getting help with a complaint to an energy supplier

You can get help and support from Citizens Advice at any point during your complaint.

Their powers include the right to investigate any consumer complaint about actual or threatened disconnection and to investigate complaints from vulnerable or potentially vulnerable consumers. They can refer your case to their Extra Help Unit or other consumer bodies better able to assist if needed.

There are other sources of help available to you. For example, Resolver.co.uk* is a free online service and app that offers advice and helps consumers with their complaints.

*Ofgem does not in any way endorse or promote Resolver’s services and have no responsibility for Resolver’s handling of the matter.


Where Flipper can get involved

Flipper can help by providing you with as much help or support as you need.

If you are not happy with your supplier, we can look to switch you away and also exclude them from any future searches for you.

We regularly review the list of suppliers that we work with and should they not be delivering high quality service, we stop switching to them.

Did this answer your question?